Nutrition experts have long been advocating high protein diets for weight loss, muscle gain and overall wellness. Experts recommend consuming between .5 and 1.0 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. That would be between 60 – 120 grams for a woman weighing 120 pounds.Some people stay on protein diets for just a few weeks, while others have followed high protein diets for decades. Whichever category you fall into, there are pros and cons to consider.
- This type of diet provides quick weight loss. While most of this is water, it can be very motivating and increase one’s willpower.
- High protein diets can lower cholesterol levels.
- Foods high in protein are generally very filling and take longer for your body to digest. You don’t have to eat as much to feel full.
- High protein diets can also be high in saturated fats, which can raise cholesterol levels.
- Too much protein can be hard on your organs, particularly kidneys. If you have a history of kidney problems, such as stones, you may want to talk to your doctor before starting a high protein diet.
Experts generally agree that a high protein diet is safe if balanced properly with the other food groups. In other words, don’t forget to have some salad with your chicken or whole-grain toast with your eggs.
So, how do you fit enough protein into your diet? This can be a difficult question to answer, especially if you are a vegetarian. Protein powder could provide an ideal solution for at least some of your protein intake.
There are several different ways to take these if you’re looking for variety. You can sprinkle it on salads, mix it with your morning oatmeal and even prepare it with veggies and fruit to make a morning powerhouse. These are very popular as a post-workout treat to help repair muscle fibers.
If you have a sweet tooth there are a variety of delicious protein powders that you can consume anytime you have a craving! Here are some of the best tasting powders currently available on the market.
- Cellucor COR-Performance Whey: Flavors include cookie batter, cinnamon swirl, cookies-n-cream, mint chocolate chip and peanut butter marshmallow. This fast acting protein powder has added digestive enzymes for reduced swelling and bloating. The powder doesn’t clump like some powders and resembles an authentic milkshake.
- PRO JYM: This is also a non-clumping formula and comes in several flavors like s’mores, vanilla and chocolate cookie crunch. Tastes great with both milk and water.
- MusclePharm Combat Powder: The banana cream flavor tastes just like banana pudding! Other flavors include strawberry cheesecake, peach swirl and triple berry.
- Body Nutrition Trutein: This one is great with milk and mixes well without a blender. Flavors include orange creamsicle, pumpkin pie and red velvet cake.
If you’re looking to build muscle, lose weight and feel better with more energy and vitality, include some protein shakes into your diet.